• How Flood Re works

    Every insurer that offers home insurance in the UK must pay into the Flood Re Scheme. This Levy raises £135m every year that we use to cover the flood risks in home insurance policies.

    Flood Re works with insurers behind the scenes. When you buy home insurance cover, your insurer can choose to pass the flood risk element of your policy to us for a fixed price.

    If you make a valid claim for flooding, your insurer will pay the claim. Later on, we’ll reimburse that insurer from the Flood Re fund.

    In short, you buy home insurance in the usual way. We cover the flood risk and that helps to keep your premiums down.


See How Flood Re works

Can Flood Re help you?

Flood Re helps householders whose homes are at high risk of flooding.

Use the Flood Re Tool to find out if your home qualifies for support. You won’t need to give us personal details.

Flood Re Tool

Who pays for Flood Re?

Most of the costs to run Flood Re are covered by the home insurance industry through a Levy.

When we accept a flood risk, we charge the insurer a fixed premium based on your home’s council tax band. We also apply a standard excess of £250 for each policy.

In addition to premiums and excesses, we collect an annual Levy from every insurer offering home insurance in the UK. In total that provides £135m every year for us to use, reimbursing insurers for valid claims and running Flood Re.

Prices, excesses and terms for policies are set by insurers and not Flood Re.